What is a Yoga Teacher Training Course
A Yoga Teacher Training Course is an educational program that gives you the main tools and the accreditation to become a Yoga Teacher.
Yoga TTCs are non-sectarian, non-political and non-religious. The studies mainly focus on reflecting and understanding how your Body, Mind and Spirit work, from a Yogic/Conscious point of view.
Some of the crucial topics covered in a Yoga TTC are: Philosophy, Morals, Nutrition, Functional Anatomy, Teaching, Yoga Techniques, Emotions, Ego, Relaxation and Meditation. They are taught, both theoretically and practically, with a high emphasis on getting to your own conclusions.
For these reasons, most Yoga Teacher Trainings Course are life-changing experiences.
Why students go for a Yoga TTC?
- To Become qualified and inspiring Yoga teachers. To be able to share the gifts of Yoga with others and support their self-realization.
- To Deepen their Yoga practice and self-discovery journey. Understand Yoga further than what a 60 min Yoga class can offer.
- To Conform a full toolbox against any past/present /future life obstacles, helping them achieve a fulfilling and a happy life.
History and Accreditation
Yoga Teacher Trainings Courses, as we known them nowadays, are highly influenced by Yoga Alliance (YA), the most popular organization for Yoga worldwide.
Yoga Alliance’s mission is “to promote and support the integrity and diversity of the teaching of yoga”
Yoga Alliance was formed in the USA (1999) by a merger of two volunteer organizations.
Unity in Yoga (1982) which was founded by Rama Jyoti Vernon and sponsored national and international yoga conferences.
Ad Hoc Yoga Alliance (1997) which was created to establish minimum standards for Yoga teachers.
Standard 200h certified course’s content: (click to open)
1. Techniques, Training and Practice: 100 hours
Master Asanas, Pranayamas, Kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation and other traditional yoga techniques. Both theoretically and practically.
2. Teaching Methodology: 25 hours
Communication skills such as group dynamics, time management, and the establishment of priorities and boundaries.
How to address the specific needs of individuals and special populations, to the degree possible in a group setting.
Principles of demonstration, observation, assisting and correcting.
Teaching styles, qualities of a teacher and the student learning process.
Business aspects of teaching yoga (including marketing and legal).
3. Anatomy and Physiology: 20 hours
Human physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, etc.) and may also include energy anatomy and physiology (chakras, nadis, etc.).
Includes the study of anatomy and physiology along with its application to yoga practice (benefits, contraindications, healthy movement patterns, etc.).
4. Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers: 30 hours
The study of yoga philosophies and traditional texts (such as the Yoga Sutras, Hatha Yoga Pradipika or Bhagavad Gita).
Yoga lifestyle, such as the precept of non-violence (ahimsa), and the concepts of dharma and karma.
Ethics for yoga teachers, such as those involving teacher – student relationships and community.
Understanding the value of teaching yoga as a service and being of service to others.
5. Practicum: 10 hours
Practice teaching as the lead instructor
Receiving and giving feedback
Observing others’ teaching
Assisting students while someone else is teaching
– Remaining Contact Hours (55 hours) and elective hours (15 hours) are to be distributed among the five educational categories, based on their program’s focus. –
– Check here for Yoga Alliance standards in detail –
YA established a national Yoga Teachers’ Registry to recognize and promote teachers with training that meets our minimum standards. They are authorized to use the initials “RYT®” (Registered Yoga Teacher) after their name, or “E-RYT®” (Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher) if they also prove significant teaching.
Yoga Alliance also maintains a Registry of Yoga Schools to recognize yoga TTC that meets their standards. All the graduates from a Registered Yoga School (RYS®) are automatically eligible to register as RYTs.
Example of Ful-time Day
There isn’t any immobile limitation to join a Yoga TTC.
Everyone is welcome to float in the wisdom of Yoga!
However, considering the nature of Yoga Teacher Training Courses, we have some suggestive requirements:
- Most of students are from all corners of the world and courses are in mostly held in English. It is advisable to have a decent command over reading and communicating in English.
- It’s a challenging program so it demands certain degree of commitment to the practice, discipline and the motivation to learn.
- The practice time for Yoga may stretch to long hours each day, so you should be in an acceptable physical condition to be able to cope up with the routine.
- Report any health concern (pregnancy, high blood pressure, severe back illnesses, recent surgeries, undergoing psychological, psychiatric treatment…). This way, the Yoga Center can make the necessary arrangements to provide you with a safe learning environment.
- And the most important: you must come with an open heart and mind so that you can foster your learning process and go beyond any limitations
Some Yoga centers are more selective with their students and they will make you fill up a from to determine if your profile matches with their school. Some also love to prepare you before the beginning of the TTC, for example, asking you to read some reference books or to do a pre self-study.TIP: If you decide to undertake the course in a foreign country, do not forget also about Visa requirements and health recommendations!!
Types of Yoga Teacher Training Course
There are many types of Yoga Teacher Training Course and we can classified them depending on the following:
Yoga Teacher Trainings of 200 hours, 300 hours and 500 hours are the famous standard accreditations given by Yoga Alliance.
- Part Time
- Full Time
In www.YogaTTC.info we focus mainly on the Full Time intensive Yoga Teacher Training courses. These are the classic 200h ones who usually last for 4 weeks (6 full days of training/ per week)
We aim full time TTCs not only because they are the most accepted version of TTC worldwide. Furthermore, we totally believe in the extra benefits that such courses offer:
- All basic necessities are covered, so you will be able to focus completely on learning without distractions or stress.
- “Holidays feeling” (especially, if you decided to do it away from your city). Taking a time just for you (far from work, family and social obligations) has incredible positive effects on your learning process and overall well-being.
- Receiving a set time and facilities to honor your daily self-practice.
- Meeting and establishing deep bonds with like-minded people from all over the world.
- Stepping out of your comfort zone which increases your ability to learn new things.
- An easy transition and support to a Yogic lifestyle, including detox process, healthy habits acquisition and conscious nutrition.
- A deeper interaction can be experienced with such intensive courses and you can see dramatic changes within yourself.
The offer of Yoga TTCs is growing exponentially every year. But not only in number, as well in specialization
Beyond the classic Hatha-Asthanga Yoga TTC, you can choose now to join a course with a focus in teaching to a particular population (kids, pregnancy women…) or Yoga style (AcroYoga, Kundalini Yoga, Yin yoga, Jivamukti Yoga…)
It seems the imagination is the only limit here, as there are some courses offering amazing blends. For example there are very interesting TTCs which offer Yoga + Thai massage (supporting the physical adjustments), Yoga + Ayurveda, Yoga + Sound Healing, Yoga + Hypnotherapy…
- You do not which Yoga style suits you best?? Take this short & fun quiz 🙂
Some Yoga TTCs can cost as little as 800-1000 $, like some TTCs in India. But others can go up to 4000-5000$, especially the ones situated in countries with a high cost of living, like NY, Costa Rica or Hawaii.
Also, the price depends majorly on the curriculum of the teachers and other complimentary aspects such as: accommodation, food, transfers, excursions, material provided, etc.TIP: Carefully check what it is included in the price and what is not!!
And here we arrive to our favorite part! 🙂
According Yoga Alliance these are the main destinations looking at the number of Certified Yoga Centers.
However, in Yoga TTC we are focusing mainly on the intensive 200h/1 month TTCs, so these are the figures for Full-time Yoga TTCs.
The main destinations for intense certified Yoga TTCs are USA (808 full-time Yoga TTC centers), India (137), Canada (103), Mexico (32), Indonesia (29), Thailand (28), Australia (26), Costa Rica (23) and Spain (20).
Let us take a short flight over each one of them
Learn more abou the best Destinations and Centers to do a Yoga Teacher Trainig
So now that you know what a Yoga TTC is, we can explain easier what we do at YogaTTC.info.
We experience first hand intensive Yoga TTCs anywhere in the world to assure their quality and helping them to improve.
We work with two main receivers, both in our mind and in our heart:
Future/former Yoga TTC students
- Elaborating on an everlasting-improving “Selection of the best Yoga TTCs”
Please let us know if any center which deserves to be in but is not on the list, yet.
- Publishing trustable firsthand information about the Yoga TTCs, as well as in depth interviews with students and teachers.
- We negotiate special discounts on the TTCs for our YogaTTCinfo members.
You can get your 10% off now. Just drop us a message!
- Creating a YogaTTC.info community to share interesting articles, opportunities, discounts, freebies, inspirational pictures and quotes.
Join the community! 😉
- Providing personalized assistance to YogaTTC.info visitors.
Yoga TTC Centers
- Delivering private evaluations and advisory reports to the Yoga Centers that we visit.
- Certifying the authenticity of former students’ reviews on www.YogaTTC.info.
- Providing consultancy and support to improve your TTC in a holistic way (Teachings, Resources, New technologies, Organization, Marketing…).
- Offering Strategic and Operation consultancy to those Yoga Centers who are willing to create your first Yoga TTC.
- Becoming a speaker to spread your messages and updates all over the Yoga Community.
- Shooting and editing videos with intimate testimonials and touching promos about your center.
- Establishing a “YogaTTCinfo Net” and giving new opportunities to collaborate with other TTCs around the world.
Furthermore, we are always open to new proposals and suggestions.
If you were already looking for a Yoga TTC or it is an idea that is starting to seduce you after reading this post, this links may help you:
- How to choose a YogaTTC
- What is my Yoga Style | Quiz
- Top 7 Centers of the “Best Yoga TTC Selection”
- Best Yoga Destinatons